Wednesday, March 30, 2011

RETHINKING LIZ GORMAN

For a long time I’ve had a negative opinion of Liz Gorman. Her initial performance as Cook County Commissioner was questionable, she failed to take a leadership role in OP politics and there were questions about her personal life. More recently I have been rethinking my opinion. For one she has taken a leadership role at the County Board to fight taxes.. In the past several OP elections there was no opposition to the McLaughlin Machine. I always questioned, why? She has corrected that by fielding an excellent slate of candidates to run in the April 5th election. I don’t know anything about her personal problems, but in regards to the things that affect me she‘s on the right track.

One thing that bothers me is that the election is more about Liz Gorman than the candidates. She has become the focal issue on why you should not vote for the “Fiscal Voices for Orland”. That’s wrong! No one has made Mayor McLaughlin and his candidates an issue. Why not? His policies and leadership should be in question: no one talks about the large debt that hangs over OP; this was brought out in the last mayoral election. No one talks about his union ties, contributors or help from the Chicago Machine. No one talks about the mailings that deceive you and tell you: there have been no new taxes, what about the new fees, elimination of the rebate and the affect of the TIF’s on your property tax bill? Was he willing to change and compromise on the Orland Plaza? The Mayor and his people won’t change. Liz Gorman has made efforts to change and hopefully has seen the light. I have to give her credit for that. That’s why I say it’s time to rethink Liz Gorman. Think about it. Vote for change on April 5th.

No comments: